- Local Control Funding Formula (LCFF) Information
- SB 617 Regulations
- Redevelopment Agency Dissolution
- Special Fund Balance Reconciliation - August 3rd
- February 10 Revenue Update
- Trailer Bill Language
- Proposition 1B Disbursements
- Proposition 1A Borrowables, Interest Rate for Repayment
- Proposition 39 Guidance for Local Education Agencies — Clean Energy Jobs Act of 2012
CALSTARS (California State Accounting & Reporting System)
CALSTARS changes of note are presented here, in reverse chronological order.
Microfiche output no longer available for CALSTARS reports
OTech terminated its microfiche services on December 31, 2012; therefore, CALSTARS reports can no longer be ordered on microfiche. The default output for CALSTARS reports set for microfiche has been changed to data files (D1). Please note that “D1” files are erased from TSO directories after 14 days.
To change a CALSTARS report’s default destination to another destination, departments can send an e-mail to email@example.com with a subject line of 'Report Routing' that states the following:
- The applicable Organization Code
- The Report ID and Title refer to (www.dof.ca.gov/html/calstars/SysGenRept.htm)
- The new destination (for example: E1)
- Whether the change is permanent or temporary
For more information regarding CALSTARS reports, please refer to CPM Volume 6 at:
Electronic Report Storage (E1) option available for System Generated Reports
The Electronic Report Storage (E1) option is now available for system generated reports. Previously, only standard CALSTARS reports could use this option. The electronic data files created using the E1 option are similar to data files created using a D1 or F1 option; however, the E1 files are only produced in zip-compressed format and their retention periods are much longer.
System generated reports include:
- Nightly batch processing reports - Batch transaction inputs and history update, batch control status, system maintenance activity (claim schedule, error correction, CALSTARS tables), etc.
- Online process reports - Automated checks, check registers, batch prints, CALSTARS Report Request Table Reference (Ref) Card, etc.
- Subsystem process reports - Labor distribution, cost allocation and fund split, month-end rollover, year-end rollover, year-end close and open, Document File purge, Vendor Edit table purge, Vendor Payment File purge, Schedule 10 transmittal, etc.
- External reports - Reports produced by another agency and electronically transferred or imported on tape into CALSTARS and printed in the original format (SCO fund reconciliation reports, SCO tab run and transactions, DGS invoices, etc.).
- Interface reports - Data sets or records produced by another agency and electronically transferred or imported on tape into CALSTARS (SCO payroll interface, CD-102 data, etc.).
- Upload reports - Reports produced when data is uploaded (external) for CALSTARS batches, tables, or timesheets.
To learn more about the Electronic Report Storage (E1) option and system generated reports, refer to CALSTARS Procedures Manual Volume 6, Chapters 2-C and 2-D.
New Labor Distribution Sub-system for MyCalPAYS
A new labor distribution sub-system for MyCalPAYS has been developed and installed. This new sub-system is explained in CALSTARS Procedure Manual Volume II Chapter 7. Departments can configure this sub-system’s distribution using the following new CALSTARS tables.
- Labor Control – MyCalPAYS ( I.7.1.1)
- Employee Master – MyCalPAYS ( I.7.1.2)
- Timesheet – MyCalPAYS ( I.7.1.3)
- Adjustment Timesheet – MyCalPAYS ( I.7.1.4)
- Adjustment Payroll – MyCalPAYS ( I.7.1.5)
- Descriptor Table - Agency Wage Type (I.5.59)
SCO is implementing MyCalPAYS over many months. The new labor distribution sub-system will only allocate payroll costs that have been processed by the SCO’s MyCalPAYS system. Payroll costs processed through the current SCO payroll system will continue to be allocated by the “legacy” labor distribution sub-system. During the transition to MyCalPAYS, departments may receive records from both SCO payroll systems for the same period. Therefore, departments should maintain CALSTARS tables in both labor distribution sub-systems until MyCalPAYS is fully implemented.
New Password Requirements
Beginning on January 19, 2012, all new passwords will require 8 characters, are case sensitive and must contain:
- At least one alphabetic uppercase letter or one national character (#, @, $) and
- At least one alphabetic lower case and
- At least one number
Current passwords that have not expired or been revoked on January 18, 2012, may be used until it is expired or revoked.
A new password is required if it has expired, been revoked, or a change is needed and the temporary password will be “12345”.
New Check Message Table
The new Check Message Table was installed and the Financial Transaction Entry and History Inquiry screens were revised to take advantage of the enhanced message functionality. This table contains agency defined messages that are used to print on checks. For more information refer to the CALSTARS Procedure Manual Volume 2, Chapter IV-CM.
Added a new vendor type X for Exempt Corporations.
Added a new vendor type X for Exempt Corporations. All payments to vendor type X are not reportable. For more information refer to the CALSTARS Procedure Manual Volume 1, Chapter XII or Volume 2, Chapter IV-VE.
Added a New Chapter to CALSTARS Procedure Manual Volume 1
Added a new chapter to CALSTARS Procedure Manual Volume 1, outlining the procedures and 4 new Transaction Codes for collecting and remitting State Income Taxes withheld from Out of State Vendors as required in SAM 8422.195 and 8422.196. The new Transaction Codes are W21, W22, W23 and W24 and can be found here.
The Pre-Closing Trial Balance Report
The Pre-Closing Trial Balance Report (Report 7) and the Post-Closing Trial Balance Report (Report 8) of the CSTARG02 were modified to print an asterisk (*) to the right of the General Ledger Account Number (GLAN) when an abnormal balance is detected. A warning message is also printed at the end of the report for each fund. This reminds users that a footnote is required by the State Controller’s Office when an abnormal balance is encountered.
The Report of Expenditures of Federal Funds
The Report of Expenditures of Federal Funds (Report 13) of the CSTARQ34 has been modified to better fulfill federal reporting requirements. Please note that the submission requirements of this report also have changed.
Changes in Data Center Practices
Due to changes in data center practices, reports ordered on Saturdays between July 1 and August 20 before 1:00 pm with an output destination of ‘L’ are delivered on the following Monday afternoon.
Changes to CALSTARS Security Programs
Changes were made to CALSTARS Security programs in anticipation of new CTA data center requirements. These changes do not affect current CALSTARS users except that the temporary CALSTARS New User ID or Reset Password has been changed from ‘TEMP’ to ‘12345’.
Remittance Advice Message Table
The new Remittance Advice Message Table (RM) was installed and the Financial Transaction Entry and History Inquiry screens were revised to take advantage of the enhanced message functionality.
G.2 Request File Copy Screen
A feature was added to the G.2 Request File Copy screen that allows CALSTARS users to order electronic copies of their agency’s Warrant Number file.